วันอังคารที่ 21 กรกฎาคม พ.ศ. 2552

I want to become an airline pilot. What sort of training do I need and where do I get it?

I am only interested in becoming a jet pilot. I do not intend to fly prop aircraft for a commuter airline. I want to do the real deal. Does anyone have true information which may be helpful to me in pursuing this carreer?


You can pursue an aeronautical degree at any university. I think you may need to obtain your pilots license and then apply for jet rating. The military is probably your best option for jets, unless you happen to be very wealthy.

You will start with propeller aircraft, just as everyone else does. You need good health and a fat wallet. First, get your Private rating (about $7000), and then an Instrument rating (another $7000), then Commercial and Instructor ratings. You can give instruction to build up time, and then try to work for one of the commuter airlines. Go see a fixed base operator at your local airport for more details.

Try the Shiny Jet Syndrome webpage.

Me TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCEPT...

YOU NEED ABOUT 3000 TURBOPROP HOURS TO BE CONSIDERED!!!!!!!!!

Most airlines have minimums... An example is found at

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/southwest.html

The minimums are ATP; 2500 TT or 1500 turbine total; 1000 PIC turbine; Class 1 medical.

An ATP is an Airline Transport Pilot. 2500 TT is you need to be in some type of aircraft for 2500 hours. 1500 turbine time means turboprop aircraft. These include jet aircraft and other turboprop. There is a difference between turboprop and multiengine. 1000 PIC means Pilot In Command... meaning the Captain and not co-pilot. A class one medical costs $50 and there are about 4 FAA offices per state that can administer them.

THESE HOURS ARE THE LESS THAT THEY WILL TAKE. YOU NEED TO BE COMPETITIVE AND GET BOUT 1000 HOURS MORE THEN THIS AND GET A 4 YEAR COLLEGE DEGREE

You have three options to obtain these hours and all of them require a ten year chunk of your life. 22-30 years old about. THis is good because airlines do not usually hire younf pilots. For those 8 years you can do three things.

1. Join airforce to get your hours

2. Get 500 small Cessna hours and join a regional airline and fly learjets and other small jets.

3. Become a CFI Certified Flight Instructor and get a job at a flight school that has turboprop and get hours training people.

YOU CAN NOT JUST NOT FLY JET WITHOUT WORKING YOUR WAY UP OVER 5-10 YEARS.

If I were you... and you sound a lot like me I would deffinetly join Southwest airlines when i am 30 and make that my goal job. This is why... The only fly 737 which has a 3-4 hour range. That means more time taking off, climbing, and landing and not a lot of monitoring time. Monitioring time is actual time up in the aircraft just sitting there and reading. You can join Delta or United if you would like to fly longer flights with more monitoring time.

You sound very young... also like me... buy Microsoft Fligtht Simulator X for about $30 at Best Buy or Walmart. I leanrned how to fly the airplane and how the autopilot works and ect. I also bought a joystick. This would help you be above in your class if you pursue your dream. If I were you I would go to www.airlinepilotcentral.com. This website helpped me find airlines in my region, minimums for hiring, and I learned alot from it.

Medical.... you must have 20/20 vision or corrected via glasses or contacts. Disabilities such as asthma and allergies are ok unless they have hospitalized you within the past 10 years. Email me at taylor.cox@live.com if you have any questions, comments or anything that I can help you with....

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น